After years of infertility and IVF, we've finally seen light from the other side. I knew it could happen, but certainly didn't think it would be us ... our new life with twins. Gulp.

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Where do you roam?

We're in the midst of thinking about our first real family vacation with babies. We've done trips to the beach, trips to see family, trips to weddings and such, but no real vacation, just the four of us.

Here are the parameters: We'd like to go in May, for 4-7 days, depending. We'd like it to be a city or town that is walkable (read: stroller-able). The babies will be just over one. A city/town that has enough to do of interest (we love wandering and exploring, eating, museums and galleries, outdoor fun, etc), but perhaps not too much that we'll be so disappointed that we have to return to the hotel for mid-afternoon naps. Restaurants where toddlers will be, if not welcomed with open arms, not shunned.

Our thoughts as of right now, are Seattle, New York .... I'm drawing a blank.

Where are your favorite cities and towns?

7 comments:

Sunny said...

Taking it down just a little bit I love Charleston, SC!

Eva said...

I'm not sure exactly where you live, but some of my favorite cities on the east coast are Boston and DC. I would think NYC might feel a bit too overwhelming with 2 younguns, but that's me. Also, last time I was in Philadelphia I was thinking it would be a nice family city -- lots of museums/history/culture, good food, very walkable. Or even smaller city, Pittsburgh. San Francisco is great but would be no fun with a double stroller. And Toronto and Montreal are excellent cities as well. If you want warmth, Phoenix is great and beautiful, but you'd have to drive between areas. Wow, I guess I'm having some serious wanderlust.

Sunny said...

DC rocks!!! I am also biased because I live just a hop skip and a jump but it is very fun.

Christy said...

I live about 20 minutes from Philadephia. Its a great city, with lots of history. Also, it has tons of great places to eat - especially if you are a vegan.

Anonymous said...

Asheville, NC
Hilton Head, SC
San Francisco, CA
Anchorage, AK
Montreal

Anonymous said...

We traveled with LT when she was 15 months old for our first family vacation. I recommend something VERY kid-friendly. We spent almost 3 weeks in southern CA. With all if the "stuff" you still need to bring along at that age, we found it easiest to stay in one place and explore form there.

Also- beaches and pools are really great at that age. Florida perhaps? Have fun planning!

GLouise said...

I would recommend something very drive-able, warm and kid-friendly! :-) Let us know which location you select! Even though we've just returned from Hawaii, I am jealous! ;-) I love vacations!