After years of infertility and IVF, we've finally seen light from the other side. I knew it could happen, but certainly didn't think it would be us ... our new life with twins. Gulp.

Friday, December 16, 2005

Swerve: Big Decision Ahead

Oh, I am so torn. I have a huge decision to make, pretty much over the weekend, and it’s a fairly huge decision. Or at least I think it is. Is it?

I am part-owner of a small business. I’ve been in it for about five years, and I really love it. It combines my skills (marketing, public relations, organization) and my loves (shopping, homes, beautiful things). It’s been a big part of my life, and has given me amazing opportunities, freedoms, responsibilities, and learning experiences.

But owning a business is hard work. If an employee doesn’t show up, guess who must cover? If a customer is crazy and unhappy, guess who has to spend all the time taking care of it? When the holidays roll around, guess who’s here at all hours? Who goes on all the business trips, deals with all the vendors, and runs the day to day heart of the business? Moi.

The above factors can all be positives, but they can also be negatives. And I can’t do a job half-assed. So if I’m in for good, I’m in full-force. If I’m out, I’m out. No part-time, reduced-responsibilities for me.

I have a meeting on Tuesday with my partner. I need to let her know what my plans are – in or out. For me, there really is no in between. I like to think that there could be, but I’m a bit of a control freak for starters, and a partnership needs to be equal in terms of what you put in and what you take out. And I wonder, with two at home, can I give 100% like I do now? And do I really want to?

It may seem pretty far ahead to be making this decision, but it's not just quitting a job - that would be easy. It's dissolving a partnership. It's potentially changing the face of a business. It's a whole different way of life.

So with this, I put it out there: Do any of you have experiences or thoughts about staying at work vs. staying at home? Regrets? Good decisions? Anecdotal stories? Hard statistical evidence? Just wondering.

3 comments:

cat said...

I will be returning to work. It is a small business that I run for others but there is no choice really, we need the money and cannot sacrifice my income.

If we could I would be home in a heartbeat.

The decision all depends on your money situation, your need to be home vs. at work, desire to juggle work and child rearing etc.

Whatever you decide it will be the right thing for you and family. You can also change the plan later on if need be. Good luck. :)

GLouise said...

Hi there- I am still riding the infertility wave- no kids yet.

Whenever I do have kids, I plan to take off at least a few years, especially after this infertility nightmare. however, that isn't best for everyone.

And also, I am just an employee, so it isn't the same as closing up a business or changing a partnership. And my company will probably allow me to take a leave of absence. So that makes it really different.

Do you have to decide so quickly?

And if you do stay in the partnership, what are your plans for Mat. leave? I would imagine you may just want to plan that part out first, before stopping your business altogether.

What does your husband think? Will he be able to help with childcare, etc.?

Good luck in deciding!

OvaGirl said...

Is it possible to get a third person in and your duties kind of reduce for a while?

It's a hard one. Good luck!