After years of infertility and IVF, we've finally seen light from the other side. I knew it could happen, but certainly didn't think it would be us ... our new life with twins. Gulp.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Testing! 1, 2, 3 !

I don't know if it's par for the course, by my RE strongly suggested (both to me in person and via letter to my OB/GYN) that since I conceived via IVF with ICSI, that an amniocentesis should be performed, no matter my age.

He says that, while it is unproven, there could be some evidence to the conclusion that ICSI babies have a higher rate of birth defects. My OB says she hasn't seen the link, and encourages her patients to make the decision on their own. I've read articles and seen statistics to both effects.

We'd discussed it at previous appointments, and it came up again today at my 14-week checkup. If I were 35 or older, it would be a no-brainer, as the risk of birth defects in any pregnancy increases at that point. But I'm only 30. So is it worth the risk of the amnio itself? And if it showed positive for birth defects, what decision would I make?

As an alternative, by OB offered up an AFP or multiple marker screen (also known as a triple or quad screen). This blood test, she says, gives a percentage chance that there could be a genetic defect, and is a indicator to move on to an amnio.

Again, the question is, if it came back positive, what would I do with that information? I would have to amnio both babies, and what if only one had problems? Would I want to, as she said so delicately, "alter the pregnancy"?

My answer is no. Others would answer yes, which is absolutely fine. It's an incredibly personal decision that I would never presume to judge for others. We've had no genetic issues thus far, so I'm not going to investigate further. Because I know that the resulting decision would be no different than I would do right now.

Should I change my mind, I have about six more weeks. We have our in-depth fetal scan in four weeks, which I am so excited for. That scan could show problems that might exist, and we'll deal with that when we get to it.

Today's ultrasound showed two normal, healthy babies, measuring at 14.5 weeks. Every time I've been in, the ultrasound office is very busy, is shorthanded, is overbooked, etc., and today was no different. Therefore, it was again a short scan, without much screentime for me. Again, a little disappointing. And an ultrasound tech who said, a number of times, "So, we're here today to check and make sure there are still two in there, right?" Way to start off the day on a positive note, huh?
But everyone looked happy inside, and wiggled around a bit. Seeing the spines was very cool. Kind of felt like I was at my own private exhibit in the Dead Zoo.

* * *

I'm off next Saturday for an annual ski vacation on which I cannot ski. (J can, of course, and will.) It will be just J & I for the majority of the week, and friends will join us for the last two days.

I'm planning to take some good books, audio books on the iPod, write my thank-you notes, and try out some new recipes. We're going to load up on movies, and I just got some supplemental editions of Scene It. Good or bad, depending on how you look at it, it's a nothing little town with nada in the areas of nightlife or entertainment, so entertainment falls squarely on our shoulders.
Imagine you're snowed in in a 70's era condo in the mountains. What would you do to while away the long hours?

7 comments:

persephone said...

In case it bolsters your decision, I've gathered that the AFP has a high false positive rate in IVF pregnancies... it seemed like more than one blogger ended up having to do an amnio just to confirm that the AFP was a mistake.

http://bakerswife.typepad.com/withinthewoods/2005/10/normal.html

http://deadbugs.blogspot.com/2005/10/not-good.html

I'm glad to hear they're looking good! Have a good trip...

Sunny said...

That really wasnt' a way to start your day with your techi person. I am glad that the babies are looking good. I so wish you could have more screen time. :)

I am with you. I wouldn't do the testing just because what would I do with the news if it were bad?

I hope you enjoy your time with J. You deserve a wonderful break!

cat said...

Glad the babes are looking fine and all is well. That decision is a tough one and everyone should feel free to make it without pressure from a doctor. It's a shame the RE can't remember that.

On a holiday like that... put on a sexy 70's style nightie and fuzzy slippers and get your groove on. *wink*

Anonymous said...

How fantastic that everything is going so well. Despite the techie person. Have fun with all the reading. When we stayed with friends in DC over the last few days we played a lot of boardgames as they don't do TV. It was a lot of fun!

OvaGirl said...

God laura how nightmarish. As our twins are icsi and I AM over 35, I...will have to add that to the list of other things I can worry about. Again, I too do not know what I would do with those test results.

Hope you have a great trip. I'm a fan of board games too, also card games. Have fun!

EAB said...

Take up knitting or crocheting! I've gotten into crocheting in a big way lately -- picked it up over Thanksgiving just for something to do with my hands, and it's completely addicting. I keep it with me all the time now, and if I'm stuck anywhere for longer than about five minutes, I whip it out and start working away. It's a godsend for doctor's appointments! Not the most group-oriented activity, perhaps, but good for whiling away the hours while everyone else is off skiing. And it's highly conducive to being curled up on a comfy sofa in front of a fire, which I think is a very desireable quality in a leisure activity :).

GLouise said...

Wow- we'll be doing IVF with ICSI in a few weeks, and so your doctor makes me a little nervous!

I've always read that there was a very tiny percentage of babies conceived via ICSI with a defect, and that even that stat is a contested/controversial among different doctors.

30 seems awfully young to be recommending an amnio!

Anyway, I am very jealous to hear of your vacation plans. Reading by the fire is just my cup o' tea.

Have a great time!