After years of infertility and IVF, we've finally seen light from the other side. I knew it could happen, but certainly didn't think it would be us ... our new life with twins. Gulp.

Thursday, February 16, 2006

What's up with that?

I come home from work yesterday, only to find my dear, sweet husband (formerly macho-man sports-loving husband) enthralled by the Olympic Curling match that is currently on television?

WTF? Why would a man who loves the speed of skating, the manly crunch of human bodies in football, the intense skill and inherent danger of mogul skiing, be enthralled with curling?

As I tried to engage him in our everyday repartee - "how was your day?" "What exciting things happened at work?" - I was caught in a non-stop lesson on the intricacies of block shots, stones, brooms, and tee scores. I tried, I promise I tried, to find the lesson interesting, and perhaps discover some nugget of curiosity that could prompt me to ask a question or feign interest. But alas, none. My mind was a blank.

I thought it all over when I came downstairs to breakfast. We watched the morning news, as usual, and during a commercial, someone thought it good to switch over to the other channel carrying Olympic coverage. To which the response was an overindulged "Oh yea! Curling is on!"

Oh, Turin/Turino/Torinoa, what monster have you created?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yep..... my husband too. It's because they scream. they scream at the disk, at the brooms... at each other. It's funny to watch grown men scream, apparently. Oh... and have you seen some of those curlers?? I chiwahwah...

Suzanne said...

I went skiing a few years ago in Canada and curling was on like 4 stations at once. And all 10 of us got addicted to watching it...of course we had been drinking.