After years of infertility and IVF, we've finally seen light from the other side. I knew it could happen, but certainly didn't think it would be us ... our new life with twins. Gulp.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

It just doesn't seem right

While I do believe in a woman's right to have a child, whether she is single, married, black, white, yellow, purple, tall, short, skinny, round, young or old, I can't help the fact that I am bothered by this.

I don't argue with this woman's desire. I do argue with any doctor who would perform IVF on a 67 year old woman.

3 comments:

GLouise said...

Wow- this woman is about 10 years younger than my grandmother!

I feel for her situation.... I agree that her doctor may not have had the best of motives. Doing IVF on a senior citizen seems a bit like weird science, like he/she was trying to 'prove' something or did it just to set a world record. And didn't have the best interest of the woman in mind.

However, the woman did beat the odds! Now if a 67 year old woman can do it, surely I can make it?!

EAB said...

I'm with you there, because it's going to be so difficult for her daughter. I tend to get really frustrated with doctors who push the ethical limits of ART -- it just gives rise to even more popular misconceptions, and that's the last thing we need.

Jamila said...

big ditto to Emma on this - "it just gives rise to even more popular misconceptions, and that's the last thing we need."