After years of infertility and IVF, we've finally seen light from the other side. I knew it could happen, but certainly didn't think it would be us ... our new life with twins. Gulp.

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Ramblings from the Couch

Who knew that a Sunday, at home on bedrest (and therefore no different than any other day of the week) could be so exciting? And it's only 3:45!

After a sleepless night, I woke up as J was getting ready for church. I slid my way over the the bathtub, finished reading Operating Instructions - for the second time, and slithered my way into some clothes. I've taken to doing any primping (rudimentary makeup and hair arrangement, i.e. ponytail) sitting on my bathroom floor mat, with makeup mirror propped on the tub surround. This way, I'm technically not fully upright, although not totally reclined. Is that cheating?

I moved my way over to the upstairs office, excited to await the arrival of the computer repair guy who was to fix the networking problem that has plagued my laptop for months now. I've had to use J's and it's been more than inconvenient for him.

In the interim, J's sister, her husband, 3-year old son, and brand new baby (one month today!) came for a visit and thoroughly entertained me for the next hour with stories from last night's cocktail party, general gossip, and lots of baby stories and advice. She feeds the baby with such ease and confidence, I often wonder how in the hell I'm going to do that with two. My little nephew made me a wonderful painting, complete with handprints and indecipherable messes. Love it. They oohed and ahhed over the newly painted (one coat last Friday, the next on Monday!) nursery, and got me excited to get that going.

So yes! Fully regaled in "Geek" attire, the guy from a certain service that promotes themselves with the geeked out image, arrived, and managed to diagnose my silly problem in a matter of minutes and fix me right up. Slightly embarrassing, and a wonderful per-hour rate for them, but relief at just having it done. At this point, I'm learning that outsourcing is the quickest and most efficient way to get things done when physically incapable of doing them yourself, and verbally incapable of explaining them to your husband.

A good friend and his girlfriend are coming over for pizza and Sunday night TV tonight, which I'm looking forward to. And tomorrow ... an exciting day for sure!

The painters are coming to finish up the baby room and get to work on some other areas (repairing damage from a huge storm two years ago ... we thought it easier to just live with bubbly, peeling walls, but no more!). My mom is coming to take me to my 1:00 doctor's appointment. She's never seen an ultrasounds, so I'm excited she'll get that opportunity, but I'm sure she'll recoil in horror at the coochie cam wand, which I'm sure I'll be lucky enough to experience again. I'm crossing my fingers for an uneventful (read: elongating or static cervix) visit, and a good report from my doctor.

However, just to plan for the unhappy, I am going to take a small bag with us, containing any essentials that would be needed should I be instructed to head on over to Labor & Delivery like last time. Strangely and superstitiously, I feel like if I plan for the negative outcome, I'll surely receive good news. But if I'm counting on good news, I'll be tragically caught off guard by the bad news that will inevitably present itself. Murphy's law, right?

5 comments:

GLouise said...

I hope your appointment went well....Thanks for checking in on me.

Thinking of you!

cat said...

Thinking of you and hoping all went ok with your appointment. *fingers crossed*

GLouise said...

So...how did your appt go? Are you back at home? I hope you didn't need to utilize your overnight bag.
Hugs,
GL

OvaGirl said...

Hoping it all goes/went well and you're back on your couch!

EAB said...

You've been quiet... hoping that everything's OK, and that there is no cervix badness afoot!