After years of infertility and IVF, we've finally seen light from the other side. I knew it could happen, but certainly didn't think it would be us ... our new life with twins. Gulp.

Monday, November 06, 2006

Okay, It Was a 40-Minute Meal

I love this kind of night. Dinner-wise, I mean.

It was a busy weekend. The babies were baptized, we had a house full of people for brunch, which resulted in a weird disarray of strange foods in the fridge/freezer

What to make for dinner tonight?, I thought. I went through the fridge and threw out some nasty, spoiled stuff. Pawed through the freezer and found some frozen chicken, in a plastic bag. Is it breasts? Is it tenders? Is it even chicken?

Reaching under the sink to store a used baby bottle (until I put them all in the dishwasher in the evening), I spy a sack of red potatos that really should be used sooner rather than later. Now, preferably.

Vegetables are currently out-of-stock in this house, but I did find one decrepid lime and the leftover strawberries from this weekend. Well, you've gotta have something fresh, right?

I pull out one of my favorite easy cookbooks, and look under "chicken" in the index. And what do you know? There's a great recipe that includes the very few things that I actually do have on hand.

I rescue the wilting cilantro from it's new home in the trashcan (still bagged in plastic, no worries), throw in a few more ingredients, fire up the stove for boiling water and a grill pan, and I've got Cilantro/Lime/Honey Grilled Chicken Sandwiches, Smashed Potatos with Cream Cheese, and Rocky Road ice cream layered with sugary strawberries.

It's no gourmet menu, but for making something out of nothing, it was sure good.

2 comments:

GLouise said...

Sounds good to me! It's always fun to play the "dinner in the pantry game." I think your menu sounds a lot better than what I've come up with in the past. ;-)

Sunny said...

WOW I am so impressed. Gotta love Rachael!!!