After years of infertility and IVF, we've finally seen light from the other side. I knew it could happen, but certainly didn't think it would be us ... our new life with twins. Gulp.

Monday, July 09, 2007

What NOT TO DO When You're Expecting Twins

Do not feel the need to stock up on every possible brand of bottle. Every possible size nipple. Every existing design of pacifier. Any potential sippy cup your child might like. And whatever you do, please resist the plethora of bottles, bags, etc. that they give you when discharging your babies from the NICU.

Once your twins are home, and you feel housebound, yet at the same time yearning to see other members of the adult human race, and perhaps drooling at the mouth just to have a civil conversation with a checkout clerk, do not, I repeat, DO NOT go to T*rget and buy the afore mentioned items in even larger quantities, just in case you need more. If you find yourself exhausted and tired of washing bottles around the clock, DO NOT think that having even more, so that you only have to wash them every other day, is acceptable.

Because if you do not heed my warnings, you'll find yourself, 14 months later, in the odd position of, not having yet decided if these two delightful toddlers are enough to satisfy your maternal urges or if perhaps you might like to take another ride on the mind-bending roller coaster called INFERTILITY, IVF, and DEALING WITH NEWBORN(S), figuring out what the hell to do with all this paraphernalia.

Alas, you will pack it up, carefully organized and labeled, and decide that this is a decision better left to another day.

For your consideration:

























5 comments:

Eva said...

That is great. We have a bunch from the NICU that I can't bear to through out even though they hold very little and are each supposed to be used once. We also got hand me downs, and bought every possible brand in an effort to find the one that they might take. And no one seems to want hand me down bottles from us so we're kind of stuck with them.

Snickollet said...

Heh heh. I have a similar supply of bottles, pacifiers, and sippy cups, all bought/acquired under similar circumstances. I'm especially guilty of the Target purchases.

I'm planning to unload a bunch of mine at my fall moms of twins club yard sale. So much space to be cleared in my basement! Unlike Eva, I've had no trouble finding folks willing to take hand-me-down bottles (minus nipples, natch). They sell like hotcakes at the twin yard sales.

GLouise said...

Oooh, what a collection!

I just registered at babies r us and had no idea that bottles and nipples were so expensive!

Hopeful Mother said...

Ironic, since I just went to my onine registry at Tar*get just a few minutes ago, and am debating what kind of bottles/nipples to get.

I'm intending to breastfeed the twins at the very beginning if at all possible, but guess that I might have to supplement with formula too. Also, do the "regular" bottles work with the pumped breastmilk? I'm such a newbie to all of this, so I'd appreciate your expertise!

What can be re-used? The bottles, but not the nipples? I'm going to see if I can save some money by getting used/hand me down bottles...

Anonymous said...

Thank heaven for breastfeeding. I did supplement with my twins at night, but since my husband was "bottle guy" I got to be woefully ignorant of all things bottle. I do, however, have tons and tons of flannel receiving blankets. At least their good for cleaning up stuff like cat vomit.