After years of infertility and IVF, we've finally seen light from the other side. I knew it could happen, but certainly didn't think it would be us ... our new life with twins. Gulp.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Sushi, Clementines, and Baby Brainwashing

Oh it's been crazy. My nights are full of crying (theirs and mine) and despair that it will never "get better," and my days are a completely different universe, full of sweet babies, outings, and unending optimism. To sum it up, we're still trying to get MyGirl to nurse with some gusto, but she is gaining weight, despite my every-three-hour frustrations and pleadings ... We've been to baby and mom yoga, which was really fun and can't wait to go back ... I've actually scheduled a babysitter (first time non-grandparent sitter) for this Saturday and am sooooo nervous ... Overall, all is well.

I've had so many thoughts running through my mind this past week ... here's the roundup:

*************************************

Sometimes My Boy sounds like a goat. Sometimes he sounds like a screaming baby. But when the wails get to a level unrecognizable by the human ear, the sound/word his noises most resemble is "
UNAGI!!!!!"

Uuuuuuuuuuuunnnaaagiiiiiiiiii!! Just try it. Say it outloud. Say it with force. Yep, that's the noise my baby makes. "
UNAGI, Mommy!! Unagi!!!"

Let alone that Unagi is Japanese eel, and I'm not really a sushi fan. But UNAGI is the battle cry of My Boy.

And when times get tough, and he's screeching away with tears rolling down his cheeks, alternately tearing on my last nerve and endearing him to me forever, I look down at his gorgeous mouth and bright blue eyes and whisper softly, "Unagi, baby. That's right. Unagi."

***************************************

I like to sing. IÂ’m fairly certain that IÂ’m not so stellar, but I enjoy it nonetheless. So IÂ’ve enjoyed singing to the babes, some nursery rhymes, some hymns, some radio songs, sometimes ridiculous stuff I make up. When I sought out the lyrics to lullabys I thought I knew, I was so freaking surprised when I
came across this. I thought it was a sweet little ditty, but not so. I'm feeling a bit creepy singing it!

*****************************************


So many onsies, so many cute sayings. What you come to realize is that those sweet phrases are not there to tell the rest of the world how cute and wonderful your baby is.

They're printed there so that when your baby or babies are screaming, puking and pooping all over you and all you want to do is throw your head back and scream, you'll look down at them and say,

"You know what, you really are Cute as a Button. "

"Yes, I really do Love You Love You Love You."

"True, when you spit up all over my freshly changed shirt, you are Kissable."

"Oh sweet baby, I know that you don't mean to drive me to destruction. I Love Mommy, too. Thank you."

No comments: