After years of infertility and IVF, we've finally seen light from the other side. I knew it could happen, but certainly didn't think it would be us ... our new life with twins. Gulp.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

What makes 21 hours a day of wakefulness totally worth it

My Girl's foray into the bathtub today resulted in virtually the same result as her brother's attempt earlier in the week. Poop in the pool. Just as we were getting all sudzed up, the explosion totally spoiled the water, and therefore, the very calming bath I was praying for.

I whip her out and pour fresh water all over her, quickly wrapping her up in a clean diaper and towel. I was so disappointed that the bath was cut short ... I was hoping it would calm her into lala land. And then I saw it .. the baby massage oil. Just a small bottle, part of a gift set given to us by a friend. And I thought "What girl doesn't like a good rubdown to ease off into sleepytime?" I know that everytime I get a massage I wake up refreshed in pile of my own drool.

Wow. She loooooooved it. I mean Big Time-all the milk you can drink-fresh diaper-cuddled on-daddy's-chest-kind of loved it. I started rubbing her belly, and then down her arms, down her legs, the palms of her hands and the soles of her feet. My personal favorite massage move is having my toes rubbed and squeezed, so I gave her a go at it, and she proved to be a momma's girl .

Her eyes kind of opened wide, surprised at such good sensations so soon after such angry ones. She wiggled round, but not in a fussy manner, in more of an "Oooh yea, right...there" manner. She smiled real smiles (I'm convinced it wasn't the gassy smile I'm accustomed to) and her glossy pink skin moved smoothly under my fingers and hands.

How nice to give her something that has such obviously pleasurable results. That was the reminder I needed as to why this is all worth it.

2 comments:

GLouise said...

Your babies sure like to go poo in the tub! I guess the feeling of being so warm and comfortable helps them release their inhibitions :-)

Glad she liked the massage! Too cute.

EAB said...

Filing "baby massage oil" on my list of "suggestions for dealing with cranky twins"!