After years of infertility and IVF, we've finally seen light from the other side. I knew it could happen, but certainly didn't think it would be us ... our new life with twins. Gulp.

Monday, January 15, 2007

Now Playing

I'll admit it. I watch a lot of television. I looooove me some TV. Partially I like the actual programming, but when alone with two babies, it's nice to have some adult conversation. Even if it's a conversation between two people inside the black box. Whatever.

I've seen many promos for BabyFirstTV, a channel created just for your baby! The nation's first channel for babies! Aparently, it's new to our area, and they're trying to round up subscribers. Just $9.99 a month! I cringe everytime it airs, as I think "Good God, we have two hundred some channels -- if I want my babies to watch TV, I think there's something I could find." And if there's a channel that I subscribe to for the sole purpose of entertaining my babies, I'm going to feel like I need to really use it.

So here it is, a lazy MLK day, and I"m laying on the couch, flipping back and forth as the babes nap. (Thank God. It was a long night with my wheezing, hacking, miserable little boy. And an early a.m. trip to the doctor's office.) As I watch two designers transform a med student's quarters from Junky to Funky, I scroll down a few channels.

Black silhouette figures rock back and forth on the screen. Silhouette stars twinkle and flip above. A silhouette moon rotates and twists. It's positivly mesmerizing and freakishly arts-and-crafts. I am an unintentional and unwitting subscriber to BabyFirst TV.

I am going to do my best to NOT plop the babes on the floor in front of this very, um, unique, viewing opportunity. Hmmmm...maybe I can learn to cut out my own silhouettes and stage a fun little show myself. Or not.

7 comments:

BSumner said...

I have to admit that we have subscribed to Baby First TV for a few months. I agree the puppets are pretty stupid, but there are a few segments that the girls love. TEC the tractor is one. They LOVE the animals on that show and they laugh and squeal at them. The lady that comes on and teaches signing for babies is another good one.. and Remy has actually picked up a couple signs at 14 months old. We're switching to FIOS TV on Friday and we're hoping they don't miss it too much. However we'll have 12 new kids/baby channels to try out. LOL

Stacie said...

The idea of a channel just for babies is kind of terrifying. Capitalism at work, I guess. Someone must figure there is a sufficient demand to make it profitable.

Tigue Burgess said...

We have been subscribers to Baby First TV for over a year now and we love it, of course each parent has to make up their own mind about the amount of TV watched our son has done well with it. My wife has been so passionate about it it promped us to start our own website KidsInfoZone.com with a Baby First TV review among other things. We like the fact that there are no adds showing the hot toy of the week etc. and everything has learning involved.

Anonymous said...

I watch Baby First TV with my little one and I have to say it helps me with teaching my little one here and there. It's like Gymboree. I teach him what I can but it helps to have some help from outside. Tec The Tractor is my little one's favorite, by the way!
:)

Anonymous said...

We subscribed to Baby First TV when it first came out and it is definitely a great substitute for "cartoons" and no commercials for junk food & cereal.

My 15 month old loves it and is a faithful Tec the Tractor watcher. When Tec is over he will actually cry.

He is not actually talking yet but will laugh at the three mice in the clock and loves to watch anything with other kids in it. I will sing along with the songs and then he will clap and cheer for me.

He loves shushybye and knows when it is over the tv is turned off and it is either nap time or bed time. It has become a routine.

I would recommend it for anyone with small children.

Anonymous said...

Ooh Stacie-you might just fear what you don't understand. Watch it before you judge it.
Baby First TV offers all sorts of different shows that teach numbers, sounds, colors, etc. It's a great channel. You actually get to choose what your baby watches. Check it out and see! (and make sure to ALSO check out the nighttime symphony programming! It's VERY nice!)

Anonymous said...

As a stay at home mom, I try to do all the things that need to get done thru the day but I do find myself stopping a lot to watch Baby First TV with my one year old son.

He's ALL about "Tec" and loves "Squeak." He use to be a HUGE "Peek a Boo...I See You" fan but has "matured" and now claps when he sees P-Boo instead of just squealing.

I like that the segments are short and actually engage the child as opposed to trying to sell them something.

Once "Harry the Bunny" sings at the end of the day it's bedtime and he knows it!