After years of infertility and IVF, we've finally seen light from the other side. I knew it could happen, but certainly didn't think it would be us ... our new life with twins. Gulp.

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Help! Someone stole my life!

Oh, it was a gorgeous wedding. And all I could have hoped for the happy couple. Although it took place about an hour from our home, we opted to stay at the inn where it was held, along with many of our friends, to fully enjoy the weekend festivities. A spectacular and luxurious location, beautiful weather, lots of old friends to catch up with, great music, and a perfect ceremony.

All was well as we enjoyed the a great dinner and cocktail party on Friday night, a day sunning by the pool on Saturday, and then we retired to our rooms to get ready for the ceremony and reception. I’m feeling good, thinking I look pretty hot, ready to go sweat it out on the dance floor … all high on life. (Okay, I'll admit it, I was pretty high on myself too. It had been a good week, okay?)

Until I step out my door into the hallway. At that exact same time, a couple across the hall is walking out of their door as well. She’s about my height, frame, similar coloring, and similar age. SHE HAS ON THE EXACT SAME DRESS AS ME!!! I’ve been to a lot of dressy occasions in my time, and this has never happened to me, and in and of itself, it’s not really a disaster. Until…

We laugh, I go over to say hello and commiserate about the weird situation. Then the husband pipes us and says “Yep, she’s pregnant. It’s the only dress that fits her!”

The evening only gets better, as I’m surrounded by a bevy of beautiful women, and it seems to me that 90% of those in my general age group are with child. I swear, I analyzed every woman’s stomach, and they were just growing {see below} before my eyes!

Luckily, a plate of good food and few glasses of wine later (I must’ve had some sixth sense about my impending period, as I’ve been totally alchol-abstinant the whole cycle!),we hit the dance floor, chatted with friends, rocked on with the band, and had a super-fabulous evening. Ha to you, all you gorgeous glowing mommies-to-be!

* * *

On a happy side note, my kittie (who has been on a mad-crazy spraying spree all about the house) seems to be much happier and well adjusted. She’s all lovey-dovey, curl up in my lap, begging for strokes, etc. Maybe someone sent her a pretty yellow bouquet, too.

2 comments:

YankeeAmanda said...

I came across your blog while doing some random blog surfing, and I just wanted to say I feel for you with the whole TTC venture. My husband and I tried for 4 1/2 years to conceive, and there were lots of times I felt like the only childless person in America. I just wanted to encourage you that you're not alone in this. We're now 3 weeks from our due date. I hope your turn comes very soon!

laura said...

Thanks, Amanda. It's good to hear from others in similar circumstances, and it's *the best* to hear from people like you who have a successful story to tell. Thank you, and good luck with your little one!