After years of infertility and IVF, we've finally seen light from the other side. I knew it could happen, but certainly didn't think it would be us ... our new life with twins. Gulp.

Friday, August 12, 2005

Moi & my current obsessions

So here I wait, patiently. I'm a 30 year old woman, living in a southern city with her phenomenal husband and two {sometimes} wonderful kitties.

I love to read, to gather information. And my current topic du jour is fertility, more specific infertility, pregnancy, how to get pregnant, medications, treatments and all the crazy stuff that goes along with it. I read journal articles, fact-filled books, transcripts, self-help books, instructional books, memoirs, I'm-with-you-girlfriend-kind-of-books. Oh, and don't forget about magazines. In fact, I've pretty much finished up the "women's health" section of my local B&N, BAM, BOA, and every local bookseller. I've moved on, and am anxiously waiting for a box of tomes to arrive via B&N online.

Let's talk about magazines. Covering all sorts of subjects, I'm simply obsessed with them. It can probably be traced back to my first job out of college. I'd started during school as an intern at a city magazine, and took a below-poverty-line-salary job there after graduation. Literally, right after graduation. As in the next day. No time off for me.

Anyway, it was a fabulously interesting job, and my obsession is now clear to anyone who enters my house, peeks in my shoulder bag, looks in my car, or makes a trip to the drugstore or bookstore with me. I can't get enough of that bound printed matter.

Again, my current favorite magazine topic is just like my book obsession above. While I'm partial to one particular magazine that specifically covers the topic of conception, I'm happy to peruse those that explore pregnancy, parenting, and all the lovely steps in between. Some might think that reading about this subject/these people - a place/person I long to be - would be upsetting. But I see it more as prep work. Once I'm lucky enough to be in the delivery room, I'll be able to tell the nurse, with authority, that yes, it's okay for me to snack on more than ice chips, according to page 12, volume 7, August 2001 issue of Pregnant Lady magazine. {Rest assured, I'm aware that this may be completely bunk advice above ... just go with me here.}

No comments: