After years of infertility and IVF, we've finally seen light from the other side. I knew it could happen, but certainly didn't think it would be us ... our new life with twins. Gulp.

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Babywatch: Day 2

Exercise Bribery. It's the only way I'll actually get out and go walking, or gosh-forbid, hit the gym.

The weather has finally cooled down from summer's hot humid heat, and I do enjoy strolling through my neighborhood, looking at all the beautiful houses. I live in a small southern city, and my neighborhood is an old Victorian area, so it's all row houses, triangle parks, eateries and bars, and a few shops, dotting the sidewalks. People watching is prime (I saw two young chaps sporting very bad Kevin Federline looks today), and there babies and dogs are always on leash or in stroller. Which brings me to my Bribery scheme.

Part One is entertainment. I get bored when I exercise, so I am addicted to books on tape, or more accurately, downloaded to the iPod. I usually get cheepy novels that I feel guilty wasting my time reading. But not so guilty listening to. Or non-fiction books that would typically bore me in print.

The lack of infertility-related Recorded Books is astonishing (you don't say), but I did manage to find one, and it's enough to keep me putting one foot in front of the other.

Part Two is babies. Of course it is! At an appropriately measured point a respectable distance from my house, one of the quaint triangle parks has been turned into a kiddie park. It's chock full of sand, play equipment, and scattered full of plastic trucks and toys. And the people-watching -- restrain me! Thus, it makes a perfect turn-around point for my walk. I can actually walk around all three sides of the park, admiring the babies and toddlers, without appearing to be a stalker. It's been my inspiration to change clothes after work, and hit the streets.

Yesterday's pickings were slim. A mom and dad eager to get their too-small baby on the swing, but full of new-parent enthusiasm, full of smiles and laughter. A dour looking Hispanic woman with a little girl who seemed to amuse herself quite well.

Today, I was sure that everyone would be out in full force. My legs moved in stride, purposeful towards my intended goal: baby oogling. Empty! No one in the house! However, I did adjust my course, as to walk by an acquaintances house, who has two children. I thought I could at least admire her little swing set, and perhaps even catch a glance! Voila - I did catch a glimpse as they approached their house, and got smiles and hellos from the little one.

Overall, a disappointing trip, but my mind went back to my crazy-ass book, and I managed to make it home with no increase in stalker-like tendencies, but certainly more knowledge on sperm donation techniques.

Come on people! Don't you know that a peek of baby smile, the giggle of a toddler, so impacts my exercise habits! So turn off the TV, stop making dinner, and put
away the cardboard books! Head out to the park, so I can oogle your children!! I'm harmless, I promise !

No comments: