After years of infertility and IVF, we've finally seen light from the other side. I knew it could happen, but certainly didn't think it would be us ... our new life with twins. Gulp.

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Just the Basics

Once the sacred ground of drunken frat boys, hard-core fans with large foam fingers, and enthusiastic alumni, the collegiate football game has morphed ... into a family free-for-all.

Now mind you, if I were the one with the family, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Oh no. I 'd be going on and on about how thrilled I am that little Jr. has the opportunity to be an {Insert Mascot}-In-Training by hanging out at the tailgates, having 50 yard line seats to learn the ins and outs of football, and loving parents & family who are only too happy to hang out after the game, trying to get autographs from the best players.

But alas, it's just me. Who, although I don't love football, always managed to have a good time at the tailgates by socializing, eating, and having a few drinks. But now, BUTNOW, we're playing a different game, folks.

All the football friends have families, and bring them on, all decked out in {Insert Mascot} cheerleading outfits and team colors. Bourbon and ginger has been replaced with sippie cups, and even if I wanted a drink, I couldn't have one due to the IVF drugs.

Tailgaiters on either side were resplendant with newborns and small babies, happily tucked away in their Baby Bjorns. Friends came to visit, double strollers in action, asking "Can I store this in your car during the game?" Random cute children threw football in the parking lot, chasing each other all about.

Good friend's New Girlfriend {just recently graduated, I think} couldn't fathom why J. and I weren't drinking, and re-enacted the Spanish Inquisition.

Other good friend's wife innocently enough, asked if we were still "thinking about one of those," pointing at her gorgeous baby whom I monopolized all evening. She knows not of our situation, but I do know she had to work pretty hard at getting baby #2, so I took her "relax"..."when you're least thinking about it" comments with a grain of salt and good intentions.

I had to leave the game a bit early to do the shots on time {I actually didn't mind leaving early, of course, as I had a pile of new magazines awaiting me in the car}, and wanted to make sure the parking lot wasn't full of people walking around.

After everyone returned to the tailgate, I managed to lighten up a bit and actually enjoy the company of all the little ones, sometimes choosing their drooling little smiles over conversations with their parents. Life is so simple for kids. Yes or no. This or that. Lollipop or candy bar. Susie or Sally. No crazy, life-altering decisions. Just the basics. Kind of refreshing, eh?

2 comments:

OvaGirl said...

Yeah, it is simple for kids, know just what you mean. Sometimes I look at my friend's baby being pushed in her stroller and I think...that's the life.

Sounds like it's going well though, Lupron sweats not withstanding. Every day gets a little closer right?

Anonymous said...

I think Saterday's game had an unusually high cute little kid to drunk adult ratio. Luckily my tailgate was full of single (I wish I was still a frat boy) drunk men. Hope the Lupron sweats get better!