After years of infertility and IVF, we've finally seen light from the other side. I knew it could happen, but certainly didn't think it would be us ... our new life with twins. Gulp.

Sunday, September 11, 2005

A Special Blessing

I've always gone to church. As a child, it was required (not with crazy religious fervor), and as an adult, I've grown to enjoy it. It helps that J & I found a church that we both love, full of wonderful individuals, and a great music program, which is important to us.

During our service, the ministers invite anyone celebrating a birthday or anniversary to come down to the front for a special blessing. The first time I did it, years ago, it felt awkward. Now, it's something I look forward to doing.

We celebrated a special anniversary on Friday, and so when the time came, we marched down the aisle (the very same aisle we marched down to be married), hand in hand. And we were lucky enough to end up with the one minister that we know well, personally, and who knows the basics about our infertility.

We knelt in front of her as she placed her hands on our shoulders. She gave us the most wonderful blessing, wishing us even more years of happy marriage, asked for us to receive fertility, and to bring us a baby soon.


I had tears in my eyes, and had to wipe them away before getting up to walk back down the aisle, but I know I didn't do a very good job.

She said that same blessing over me on my birthday, four months ago.

I've never been a big prayer, but I'm trying, and I'm learning. I hope next year's birthday blessing is of a different sort.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes it seems like these kinds of blessings, prayers, and signs from above are the only thing that keeps me moving forward rather than giving up on the side of the road in an exhausted huff. I liked your description of it...I almost cried.