After years of infertility and IVF, we've finally seen light from the other side. I knew it could happen, but certainly didn't think it would be us ... our new life with twins. Gulp.

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Magazine Articles I Have absolutely No Need For Yet Felt The Need To Purchase

As a result of the dreaded Target trip:
  • Your Nine Month Mood Predictor (if we continue on with IVF, I'm pretty sure I can predict my mood for you right now. No crystal ball necessary.
  • The Hottest Celebrity Baby Names (okay, I guess this doesn't only apply to the pregnant, just to the pregnancy-obsessed)
  • Make Room for Baby (now why in the world do I need instruction on this? I've got the books. Fabric swatches sit on the dresser in the would-be nursery. The page with the Jenny Lind crib is dog-eared in my Land of Nod catalog. Oh, now I remember why: because never-been, not-currently pregnant women don't usually have the nursery all planned out!)
  • Coming Home: The Key to surviving Your First Weeks is To Be Prepared For Anything (the same could be said for infertility and IVF treatments ... boys scouts motto: be prepared. I've got it: Ampules of craze-inducing hormones: check. Blister packs of syringes, strung together like mini-candy-canes:Check. Sufficiently annoyed husband:check. Count me in, I'm prepared for anything!)
Of course, as soon as I got home and eagerly turned past the table of contents, the dreaded familiar feeling came to me. Yep, I'd already bought this magazine. At the end of last month when in was brand new on the stands.

Someone restrain me, for gosh sakes.

*********************

On a happier note, a local veterinary clinic is getting ready to head down to the Gulf Coast tomorrow to work on saving some of the pets and animals that have been abandoned, displaced, and injured by Katrina.

I hit the stores after work, and loaded up on some of their requested supplies: towels, iodine, rubbing alcohol, food dishes, litter boxes, leashes, collars, etc. I expected to drop it all off at the clinic, maybe people are loading up a few SUVS, nothing crazy.

Oh no...there are huge horse trailers in the parking lot, piles of organized supplies, volunteers forming a fireman-like line to pass all the heavy stuff on to the trailers. It was amazing. They were all so busy, I didn't have a chance to ask about their trip, but man, am I excited for them. I've been so worried about all of these innocent animals, left to their own survival or demise, with those that they've become dependent on, gone. I'm glad I can help in my own small way.

The Louisiana SPCA is of course, asking for donations and help. Some of the pictures on their site are heartbreaking. It hurts me to think about it right now.

No comments: